Sunday 6 January 2008

Andy Warhol – Querelle (Uncertainty)

This piece by Andy Warhol symbolises uncertainty between the actions of a couple. In the image she looks very adamant that she will not react to his behaviour. She has her back turned so that he cannot see her facial expression. This will create a certain amount of uncertainty in his mind however he still seems adoment in trying to seduce her or get her to react. Andy Warhol usually uses silkscreen printing as his medium. By doing this he can control the use of colour in the image well plus keep a sense of photographic element in it. The style of Andy Warhol’s is consistent to that of Pop Art providing quite a savvy poster. The poster portrays an amount of sexual reference however it is uncertain to what extent the two people in the image know each other.

Because of the uncertainty in the image it intrigues me to want to find out more about these two people.



My Response


I couldnt use the medium of silk screen printing due to the facilities that I was availible to but I have tried to recreate his style the best I could using Photoshop. The image is of a boy sticking his toungue out behind a girl drinking a glass of wine. I took the image at a party that I had and thought that it would be inkeeping with Querelle by Andy Warhol.

Firstly using the image i had taken, I altered the levels dramitcally so that there were no midtones left in the, creating a stencil. Then by erasing all the white in the image and replacing it with a layer of orange it gave me something similar to that or Warhol's. I couldnt manage to get the orange as vibrant as that of Andy Warhols, however if I were to use the method of silkscreen printing it would look alot crisper and explosive in colour. I used Illustrator to create lines following contours of the image just like in Warhol's.

The way I think I have created uncertainty in this image is how the girl at the front is totally oblivious to what is going on directly behind her. The boy is making quite a sexual but humerous action towards her yet she has no idea. I like how the red toungue stands out giving the image a focal point. The image draws your eye to his toungue and then questions 'what is he doing here?' or 'why is he doing that?' This uncertainty is dominant within the image.

I think the outcome would be a lot more effective if I could use silk screen printing to create my response.

1 comment:

Ruark said...

But I think you'll find that these two figures are young men. Have you gone and read the novel by Jean Genet, or seen the film by the German dirctor Rainer Fassbinder. For Warhol photography and film making was the primary creative mode. The silk-screens gave Warhol an easy to control, in-expensive manual printing process. His studio in New York was known as The Factory. With photography he could add to and change colour schemes effortlessly. He could screen onto various surfaces, like canvas or card board, paper and plastics. Who did design this poster? It uses an image generated by Warhol yes. In a way Warhol's ideas were 'modulor' and could be easily adapted or appropriated. You ought to get to look at some of his early 60s films like FLESH. There you will find how he begins to generate the 'photographic' archive which he could later recycle ad-infinitum. Definitely Warhol made his "art in the age of mechanical preproduction".